I. Overview of Teach Plus
Mission. The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success.
Programs. Teach Plus programs are designed to place highly effective teachers at the center of improvements in schools as leaders of their peers and outside schools influencing policy decisions that affect their classrooms. The programs develop excellent teachers into leaders who achieve change and mobilize others in their school, district, state, and across the nation to bring change to scale.
Impact. Teach Plus ensures that effective teachers have influence beyond their classrooms as:
- a key voice in legislation in local, district, state, and federal policy
- change agents in transforming student learning across a school
- leaders of other teachers in improving practice
- a grounded perspective in the media and on research
II. Position Description
Teach Plus’ T3 Initiative is an innovative program that recruits, develops, and supports effective, experienced teachers to serve as T3 Teacher Leaders in low-performing and turnaround schools. This program was designed by teachers and demonstrates that chronically low-performing schools can be turned around and that excellent teachers are the key lever to do so.
T3 Teacher Leaders work together as teams of high-performing educators with administrators that understand the power of shared leadership. T3 Teacher Leaders, with the support of their principal and T3 Initiative Coach, serve in leadership roles leading teams of their peers in collaborative inquiry or leading school-wide initiatives that help facilitate and support the work of all teachers in the school to significantly increase student achievement.
The Instructional Practice Director will oversee teacher leadership development across a Teach Plus region and provide comprehensive support, development and management to instructionally focused program coaches. He/she will also provide direct coaching support to T3 teacher leaders in one school. This individual reports to and receives targeted support from the National Coaching Manager on the national Teach Plus Program Team.
Core responsibilities include:
Teacher Leader Coach (50%)
- Foster High Functioning, High Impact Teacher-Leader led teams.
- Observe and strategically contribute in weekly Teacher Leader-led team meetings and professional development.
- Ensure that the primary work of each team is to improve teaching and learning for all students through use of calendared evidence-based inquiry cycles.
- Ensure that teacher leader initiative work is based in evidence and achieves desired impact on instructional practice and student learning.
- Plan and facilitate school-based T3 teacher leader cohort meetings. Meet weekly with each Teacher Leader to plan for upcoming team meetings, debrief previous meetings, and engage in leadership coaching and feedback.
- Serve as part of school leadership team. Meet regularly with principal and school administration to ensure program fidelity and create the school-based conditions necessary for a successful partnership.
- With support of Teach Plus staff, T3 Coaches collaborate across the Philadelphia T3 network to provide the following out-of-school support for the T3 Teacher Leaders across the district:
- Plan for and deliver portions of the Summer Institute, a multi-day hands-on training for T3 Teacher Leaders across the Philadelphia T3 network.
- Plan for and deliver regional professional development sessions for Teacher Leaders across the T3 network.
Program Management (25%)
- Supervise, ensure, document and report on the high and consistent quality delivery and fidelity of the T3 Initiative in Philadelphia (aka Instructional Quality Control).
- Collaborate with the National Coaching Manager to communicate critical support, outcomes, metrics and resource needs to National Program Team.
- Collaborate across Regions and with the National Research & Evaluation Manager to track progress of schools and programs using the Data Dashboard, problem solve, learn and innovate.
- Be the primary external communicator about Philadelphia instructional practice work. Both ongoing conversations and collaborations with partners and funders as well as conversations with potential partners and industry collaborators.
- Works with the Teach Plus national staff and the National Instructional Leadership Team to develop systems that allow T3 to be implemented more efficiently and effectively
Coach Support and Professional Development (25%)
- Supports the National Instructional Leadership Team’s planning and execution of critical support and professional development for T3 teacher leaders, including the Summer Institutes, and school-year Link sessions
- Provide leadership coaching, and instructional development to T3 coaches through regular observation and feedback of all Teach Plus practice programs.
- Collaborates with the National Instructional Leadership Team to strategize solutions for and address challenges that may arise with program implementation at the school-level
- Collaborate with National Coaching Manager to identify, highlight and improve the instructional coaching skills of the T3 coaches.
- Collaborate with the National Coaching Manager to create the scope and outcomes for localized principal support and training.
To be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- 10+ years in the education field, with preference given to candidates who have both a teaching background and experience coaching teachers and school leaders in an urban environment
- Preference given to leaders who have led instructionally transformational work in the urban context
- Literacy and/or Math instructional coaching experience
- A relentless focus on data, including analysis and using it to inform instruction and make decisions
- Experience in leadership development and facilitation of inquiry with teachers and/or school leaders
- Management experience, a plus
IV. Start Date and Term
The tentative start date for this position is July 2017. Please note that T3’s expansion to Philadelphia is contingent upon final contract approval and funding. This position may be eligible for renewal on an annual basis on July 1, 2018 based on performance and needs of the organization.
V. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and commensurate with experience. Full time employees have access to Teach Plus’s benefit package to include medical and dental insurance, retirement, life insurance, disability, and generous paid time off benefits.
VI. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://teachplus.tfaforms.net/327817
Teach Plus is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex or natural origin.