I. Overview of Teach Plus
Mission. The mission of Teach Plus is to empower excellent, experienced teachers to take leadership over key policy and practice issues that affect their students’ success.
Programs. Teach Plus programs are designed to place highly effective teachers at the center of improvements in schools as leaders of their peers and outside schools influencing policy decisions that affect their classrooms. The programs develop excellent teachers into leaders who achieve change and mobilize others in their school, district, state, and across the nation to bring change to scale.
Impact. Teach Plus ensures that effective teachers have influence beyond their classrooms as:
- a key voice in legislation in local, district, state, and federal policy
- change agents in transforming student learning across a school
- leaders of other teachers in improving practice
- a grounded perspective in the media and on research
II. Position Responsibilities
Reporting to the California Executive Director and collaborating closely with the California Teacher Engagement Manager, the California Program Coordinator will support teacher directed communications around the State Fellowship, Teacher-Led Professional Learning work, and other customized policy and instructional practice work. In addition, the California Program Coordinator will support the basic management and operations for all programs. The role will include opportunities for professional growth in education policy and non-profit management. Primary responsibilities will include:
Recruitment and Selection of Program Participants
- Create and execute California State Fellowship recruitment plan to expand the reach of the fellowship
- Support California-wide recruitment of highly-effective teachers for the 2017-18 Cohort
- Support recruitment and selection of Teacher Leaders for various Teacher-Led Professional Learning programs
- Engage and recruit teacher participants for TLPL
State Fellow Working Group Coordination, Research, and Fellowship Support
- Support work of the State Fellowship, through analysis of legislative activity, facilitation of in person and virtual meetings, preparation of material
- Support ongoing Teaching Policy Fellows working group with research inputs, products and timeline
- Assist in fact-checking data, acting as a thought partner on various projects, and providing general support as needed on publications
- Run logistics for State Fellows sessions (including managing budget and ordering necessary food and supplies)
- Support planning and coordination of Teacher-Led Professional Learning sessions, including logistics, space, materials, etc.
- Develop message for marketing materials and advertise the Core Collaborative Teacher Facilitator opportunity to high potential teachers
- Support the Teacher-Led Professional Learning Teacher Facilitator selection process
- Serve as thought partner for Teacher Engagement Manager
Data Management and Analytics
- Maintain accurate and timely data and enter appropriate information into the Salesforce database for ongoing accountability reports.
- Use data to meaningfully inform policy and practice programs and make decisions
Communications, Outreach, and Events Management
- Use social media to keep local teachers informed about key educational issues and to promote Teach Plus
- Identify opportunities for teacher leadership and publicize them through a monthly Teacher Leadership Email and social media outreach
- Publicize events and programs
- Create Partner and Newsletters on behalf of the Executive Director
- Review major publications covering education policy and drafting posts highlighting key articles for the @teachplusCA Twitter handle and Teach Plus CA Facebook group
- Create PowerPoint presentations, handouts and other relevant materials to support events
- Coordinate logistics for events, including site research, vendor research, and ordering necessary food and supplies
- Support the daily needs of a site that has developed many important external partnerships, including scheduling meetings, greeting and directing office visitors, initiating and answering telephone calls, and responding to direct requests for information.
- Provide meeting support as needed, e.g. preparing materials, logistics.
In order to be successful in this role, ideal candidates should have:
- A deep understanding of the national discussion about how best to attract, engage, and retain effective teachers
- Familiarity with the education landscape in California and current issues facing the system
- Excellent written and oral communication skills
- Strong project management skills and the initiative to complete tasks independently
- Comfort working in an entrepreneurial environment and the willingness to contribute as needed to a growing organization
- Experience with innovative programs with a focus on quality and results
- A results-oriented, goal-driven, teamwork approach to work
- A passionate commitment to improving public education by retaining and supporting outstanding teachers in urban schools.
IV. Compensation and Benefits
Salary is competitive and will be based on prior experience and qualifications. Full benefits package includes medical, dental, retirement, disability, life insurance and generous paid time off benefits.
V. How to Apply
To apply, please complete an online application found here. The online application will require you to upload a resume and cover letter. The cover letter should include an explanation of your interest in the position as well as a summary of relevant qualifications and experience. Teach Plus will receive applications until the position is filled.
Application Link: https://www.tfaforms.com/4623469
Teach Plus is an equal opportunity employer and will not discriminate against any employee or applicant for employment because of race, color, religion, sex or natural origin.